Friday 10 April 2020

Chris Hani, the communist! Isitya esihle asidleli

On 10 April 1993 I was a student at the University of the Western Cape. It was a saturday, I woke up early that day to go to Bellville for some supplies. I was at Foschini looking for something. The music was playing in the radio with occasional advertisements. Then the music was abruptly interrupted with a special announcement. I did not hear what the person said first but '...well known communist Christ Hani was gunned down in his house this morning, more details will be shared later' and the music continued to play. I looked around to ask someone what I just heard, people were going about with their shopping - of cause they were all white and did not understand what was my issue. My heart was racing and was so anxious as I could not confirm what I just heard.

I left the shop in a hurry and hopped into a taxi to Belhar where my residence was. As I got into the yard there was no one in sight. I passed the entrance into the courtyard and people were in the dining hall others still going there. As I entered the hall, I could feel the sad mood. No one was talking, heads were down and some shaking their heads. After a while one of the student leaders came in and addressed us. Comrades, its true. Chris Hani is dead. I felt like crying but no tears were coming out. I felt like screening but my throat was dry.

After what seemed like eternity someone started a song. At first the mood was somber, then people started to get up and the singing was loud and heated. after an hour. We were later told that there will be a mass meeting on campus on Monday for a proper briefing and update. This was a horrible day in the history of South Africa. My heart was broken. My energy was gone and I was scared what will happen when everyone realises what has happened because at that stage I was pissed off and could moer anyone who says anything unbecoming. 

Chris Hani was my hero. He resembled a real son of the soil. He gave up everything for me to be free. He endured hardships and exile to ensure that this country is free. He was revered by young and old. Rural or urban everyone knew who he was. 

I remember a few months before he was at the Independence stadium in Mthatha. People travelled for over 100 kilometers to see and listen to him. Later my neighbour narrated how he travelled without money and was lucky. He was so excited that he made it and listened to this revolutionary whom he adored and respected. He was telling me what Chris said (like a radio). People in the Eastern Cape loved him because he was one of their own and they could identify with his struggles. 

Martin Thembisile Hani hamba kahle mkhonto!



Every time I think about that day I remembers the song by UWC Creative Arts Choir which went like: 

UMkhonto libutho lam endilithandayo x3
Ukhweza loomathafa
Ucanda loo mimango
Ushay'ezintabeni 
Ndiyaw'uthanda
Libutho lam'endilithandayo

Bathi bakuwubon'usondela
Baphume bonkabantwana bevuya
Baphume bonk'abasebenzi
Bayilwel'inkululeko yethu 

Unganani mlisela nomthinjana
Hamba Mkhonto mkhonto wemikhonto
Ushayezintabeni
Ushayizitha zethu 
Ushay'uvuthulule
May'buyi Africa
...
Bathi alikho ibutho elifana nomkhonto

No comments:

Chris Hani, the communist! Isitya esihle asidleli

On 10 April 1993 I was a student at the University of the Western Cape. It was a saturday, I woke up early that day to go to Bellville for ...